Forms of Inner-City Travel
- Buses are run by APSRTC. Buses are the cheapest option but take a long time. Hyderabad is so huge that you often have to take 2 or 3 buses to get to your destination. However, you will find specific routes to be very helpful. http://www.apsrtc.gov.in
- Autorickshaws are a bit crazy! They are more expensive but sometimes worth the time saved! Be sure to ask a local how much is appropriate to pay the auto driver and then bargain a price with him. They will always try to overcharge foreigners so start low, 50% even, and then meet him to the desired price.
- Trains also called MMTS are the cheapest form of transportation. I found them to be very helpful and mostly on time. Stations and timetables can be found here: http://mmts.co.in
- Taxis are reliable but can not be hailed off of the street. Instead you must call one of the service companies. They are also VERY expensive, but it is the safest option if you are traveling late at night or early in the morning.
- On Foot: While walking would be my transportation of choice, Hyderabad is a vast city and its sights are spread out. Therefore, it is most convenient to travel by another means to your location of choice, then walk around in that area.