Words of Advice
- Don’t drink the water–always go with bottled water that is properly sealed. (This means no ice!) It is also recommended to stay away from fresh produce that may have been washed with water. However, I brushed my teeth with it and I was fine.
- Carry hand sanitizer
- Never eat with your left hand, it is seen as unpure.
- Tipping at restaurants is not a norm but hotels, luggage hands, etc expect it.
- India Standard Time = India Stretchable Time
- If riding on the train overnight, it is recommended that you chain up your luggage or place it near your head.
- Wear insect repellant with Deet, such as Odomos lotion
- Never touch or allow yourself to be touched by any man unless he is your family member. Do not hug men. Avoid looking men you don’t know in the eye too many times.
- When in doubt, ask someone that looks trustworthy for directions or clarification.
- Book train ticket well in advance! They fill up fast and you can always cancel for a full refund.